Diamant farm was officially granted to Coenraad CLOETE in 1693, although it is likely that he had already started farming the 60 morg property by 1692. Cloete was married to Martha VERSCHUUR and owned the farm until his death in 1704. The farm lies on the western slopes of Paarl Mountain, and is flanked by Sandwyk and Fairview wine estates.
It is often very difficult to imagine what a farm looked like a century ago, and here old newspapers prove to be an invaluable resource. Take for instance the auction notice for the sale of Diamant farm on 25 April 1885. The advertisement in the Paarl District Advertiser mentions the owner’s name – Jacob Jozua Francois LE ROUX (Joz zn) and describes the property as follows: Continue reading