Notice is hereby given that in terms of the provisions of Act No 28 of 1883, and 25 of 1891, a meeting of the Licensing Court for the division of Paarl, will be held in the Court Room at the Paarl, on Wednesday the 4th day of March 1896, at 10 o’clock in the forenoon, for the purpose of considering the undermentioned applications for wine and spirit Licences.
The lists printed in the De Paarl and the Paarl District Advertiser are interesting in that they provide the names of hotels and their proprietors, and also show that some residents also sold wine from the homes, as did some of the wine farmers close to town.
The list of applicants in De Paarl newspaper of 6 February 1896 included:
Bottle Store Licences, Renewals
- Abraham Johannes de Villiers (JJ zn) at the premises of Mr J Francke (Ward No 3 Paarl)
- G A Decker, at his premises, Market Square, Paarl
- Isaac J Bosman, at the premises of Mrs J D Bosman (Ward No 1 Paarl)
- John Charles Graham Mackintosh, East Street, Wellington
- Jan de Ville Minnaar, at the premises of Mr J H L Minnaar (Ward No 1 Paarl)
- Blignaut & Company, at their premises (Ward No 1 Paarl)
- Frans P Hoffman, at the premises of the Paarl Berg Wijn Brandewijn en Spiritus Maatschappij, Lady Grey Bridge Station, Paarl