Elba, Main Street

The town property of Elba was in the region of 127 Main Street, Paarl

The town property of Elba was in the region of 127 Main Street, Paarl

Old auction notices provide valuable information on properties. In 1888 Nicolaas Rossouw passed away and his property was put up for auction.  The following advertisement appeared in the Paarl District Advertiser, 5 May 1888:

OP DONDERDAG, 17 MEI 1888

Zeker gedeelte van ELBA, bevattende twee suffisante Woonhuizen met Pakhuizen annex, geschikt voor enig Handel of Nering, zijnde eens der beste handelstanden in het dorp, de gronden zijn beplant met fraaijen Wijngaard, Vruchtenboord en Tuin.

This 2 morgen property was issued in 1804 to Gertruida Blom (1734-1804), widow of Heinrich Arnoldus Brüggeman (-1792). After her death in 1804 the property was sold to another widow, Hester Elisabeth de Villiers (1759-), widow of Petrus Johannes de Villiers (1757-1804). In 1805 Elba was sold to Hester Rossouw (1755-1834), the unmarried daughter of Daniël Rossouw of La Concorde farm in Suider Paarl.

Abraham Pieter Heroldt (1795-1868) bought the property in 1834.

Abraham Pieter de Villiers owned the property in 1850.

In the 1888 advertisement, J J de Villiers (AP zn) is listed as the secretary for the executor’s testament.

SOURCE:
Le Roux, J: Drakenstein se erfgrond – Suider Paarl
Paarl District Advertiser, 5 May 1888

Advertisements